Getting Started in Motorsport
If you are new to motorsport, you're probably wondering what you need to get involved? BLCC (Bathurst Light Car Club) offers both dirt events, Motorkahanas and Khanacross, as well as tarmac sprint events on various section of Mt Panorama.
Your First Event
If you're looking to get involved for your very first time, a great place to start is a Come n Try event at our Motorkhanas. For a small fee, your CAMS license is covered for the day and you can run for part of the day. We can lend you one of the club cars if you don't have one, as well as provide a helmet. All you need to do is show up early and bring long sleeve and long legged clothing.
To be eligible for Come and Try, you must have never held a CAMS license.
If you're looking to get involved more frequently, there's a list of things you need for each event:
- A car. Almost anything will do as long as it's mechanically sound, in good condition and meets the Supplementary Regulartions for each event. Supp Regs are available about a month before each event, you can find them by clicking the event in our event calendar.
- A club membership with a CAMS affiliated club, you're welcome to join BLCC here
- A CAMS license, either a L2S (Level 2 Speed) for speed/tarmac events, or L2NS (Level 2 Non-speed) for our khana dirt events. If you intend to do both, you only need an L2S
- A helmet that meets CAMS Schedule D
- Ankle to wrist to neck clothing. This is for protection if your vehicle catches fire, so a proper race suit is best, if you don't have one, we recommend natural fibres as they don't melt as quickly as artifical fibres like polyesters.
- A fire extinguisher that meets CAMS Schedule H. It needs to be mounted in your car within reach of the driver.
- Age Requirements. For Non-speed events (e.g. motorkhanas and khanacross), you need to be 12 years or older, for speed events (e.g. hill climbs) you need to be 14 years or older.
Other than that, each event has different requirements depending on your car, your class and the event type. Have a read through the Supplementary Regulations for the event you want to enter!
All links are correct as of June 2018.